Saturday, June 28, 2014

A disappointing keynote, but a good lesson

The cynic in me struggled mightily to see the relevance of Ashley Judd's keynote address. She shared her story, her history of depression, her family relationships, past and present, her experience in independent school, her humanitarian work. She has a powerful story, but there was zero connection to ed tech. This really could have been anybody.

A browsing of Twitter helped. I can't find the tweet, but it said that she spoke to us as a student. In a keynote, we're used to someone speaking to us as an expert, as a teacher. This speech was a changing of the lens and we should value that.

My takeaway, and the takeaway from many on Twitter: "The most important thing you can do is believe the child who comes to you." Honor what the student in front of you is saying, is revealing, is bringing to you. Take that seriously.

She spoke of the teacher that took time to notice her, and, in turn, how she wanted to work hard not to disappoint that teacher.

I am not a teacher, but I do see that as I walk the school where I work. What child is looking for someone to notice her as she battles her demons? What student may be revealing a little bit of her struggle, hoping someone will pick up on it and ask her, "How are you, really?"


No comments:

Post a Comment